6.14.2009

6/7/2009

Last Sunday was no ordinary Sunday. Usually, I have to work on Sundays.. but I had taken off to spend the weekend at Aunt Mary's ranch, where we were celebrating my cousin Michael's graduation. We woke up with the chickens! (no, there are no chickens on the ranch.. but if there were.. we definitely would have been up with them!!) We drank coffee.. we ate breakfast.. we straightened up.. we messed around.. we drove home (which is over an hour away) all before 11 am! Diego and I were pretty exhausted so we spent the rest of the day on the couch. We just bummed around and watched TV... Later that night, I was getting ready to hit the sack early (around 9 pm) and I decided to check my phone. I had missed a text from my mom.. who had sent me some pretty shocking news about some friends of ours.. so I decided to call her to gossip. When she got on the phone.. she sounded a little distressed.. What would be going on around 9 o'clock on a Sunday?? She said that her and Aunt Clonda were on their way to Stonebridge.. which is the nursing home my Grandma lives in. I immediately freaked out.. Why??? What's going on?? She told me that Stonebridge had called and said that my Grandma, who was sick with the flu.. was unresponsive and that they had called the EMS. So.. me.. in panic mode didn't know what to do. My mom told me that she would call me as soon as she knew something.. I hung up the phone and called my cousin, Jennifer.. who was also completely freaked out.. while talking to Jennifer, my mom called me back... here I am with the house phone on one ear and my cell on the other. My mom tells me that they are taking her to the hospital and that this might be it. The majority of my family headed to the hospital... by the time Diego and I got there.. they had already taken her off of life support. All of us were a mess.. we all stood around and let her know that we were there and that it was ok to go. We told her how much we love her and how much we will miss her..

We laid her to rest on Thursday morning.. Dr. Ken Baldwin delivered a beautiful graveside service. All of my family was there. Even though it was under very sad circumstances.. it was very nice to see everyone again. Sometimes you just go too long with out seeing family.

It's such a sad thing when someone so close to you passes away.. but, I can't help but know that she is in a much better place. A place where she can walk and talk and laugh again. She can mess around in her garden, watch her soaps, eat all the yummy food she loves and quilt until her hearts content. I know she will have a quilt waiting for each of us!

*sorry for the glare on the pictures, I took a picture of a glossy picture*

Grams

I love my Grandma soo much! I spent several summers hanging out at Western Trails (her apartment behind Central Market), with her and her old lady friends! We'd walk to Grandy's and have breakfast.. we'd work in her garden.. we'd watch The Price is Right and Days of Our Lives. She would quilt and I would color. Those are the memories I will cherish forever.

Grammy

1 comment:

Erica said...

Your post made me sad! :( I totally understand how much you miss your grandma. I miss mine soooooooooooooooooooooooo much. I'd give anything just to hear her voice or hold her hand just one more time. They're both in a much better, happier place free of all the pain they ever suffered. My condolences to your family.
Love you guys!