6.19.2008

#51 Read Another Book

Bright Shiny Morning
by James Frey
Photobucket

Let me start off by saying that this book was written by James Frey.. the same author that wrote A Million Little Pieces and My Friend Leonard. There was all this controversy surrounding him, because the memoir turned out to be more fiction than truth. I will be the first to say that I am NOT into reading.. I really never have been, but after hearing all that flack.. I decided to see what it was all about, so I read A Million Little Pieces.. I was GREAT! I was so into it, I could not put it down.. I really could care less if it was all true, a little bit true, or completely fiction.. it was written so well.. and it just consumed me. As soon as I finished AMLP, I read My Friend Leonard which picked up where AMLP left off.. again. I was consumed. Loved it. (btw, I read those a few years ago)

So, that brings me to his 3rd book. Bright Shiny morning. I heard he had a new book out, so I was like shit, I gotta get that!! Welll..... this one.. was... well written! but.. not as good. The entire book is about Los Angeles. It's about the people who come to LA with a dream. There are tons of characters in the book, but it focuses on 4 main story lines.. A girl with immigrant parents, who works as a maid for a very mean rich lady, a famous Hollywood action hero.. who is married with kids, but is really gay, a couple who move to LA from Ohio to escape abusive parents, and a homeless man who lives on Venice beach. I liked the stories of these characters, but I could have done with out the "fun facts" of LA that occur through out the book.

I don't really know if it's that I don't like this book.. or if it's just not as good as the first.. or maybe I was just expecting more.

No comments: